Outlook is one of the best and most used email client. With this application you can easily add and manage multiple emails accounts at a time from single interface. Sometimes when adding or configuring a new email account in Outlook, you may face many problems and one such problem that most of the peoples encountered is “We couldn’t create the Outlook data file”.
What causes the error “We could not create the Outlook data file”?
Adding Account using Add Account option of Outlook: The first reason for this error is the bug present in Microsoft Outlook that prevents users from opening and configuring new email account in Outlook. Due to this issue you might not be able to add an account into Outlook using the ADD Account option of Outlook.
Simplified Account Creation Wizard: When trying to configure an account in Outlook using this Simplified Account Creation Wizard you might see this error. This is the new feature added into the outlook and might has some bug in it.
Many users have reported that the error “’We Couldn’t Create the Outlook Data File” occurs while configuring the new Gmail account into the outlook. Try the possible fixed given below to easily get read of this outlook error.
How to Fix this Error “’We Couldn’t Create the Outlook Data File”
Use Manage Profiles Option to resolve this error: Outlook data file error is most likely caused by a bug in Microsoft Outlook that interrupts the process of configuring an account through the Add Account option of Outlook. If you want, you can add the account in other ways as well. To do this, you can add a new email account through the A Proper window in Outlook’s profile window. You have to pay special attention to two or three steps for the Profile Manager process.
- First of all, we have to open Outlook and then go to its left corner and click on File
- After that we will see the option of Account Setting, by clicking there a new drop down menu will appear.
- From here you have to choose Manage Profiles and if any additional prompts appear, confirm it.
- Now click on Email Accounts button and then click on New button to configure a new email account into the outlook
- Follow the steps, enter your login credentials, and make sure the details you are entering is correct.
After following all steps and you will be able to easily add account in outlook and resolve this error “We Couldn’t Create the Outlook Data File”.
For Step by step information of Adding Account Manually in Outlook follow the guide mentioned here: https://www.tipsoverflow.com/configure-gmail-account-to-outlook-using-imap-settings/
Use Mail Option from Control Panel: If you are still facing the same error then I would recommend you to configure the email account from the Control Panel. For that, you will need to open Control Panel and then follow the mentioned steps:
Click on Email >> Email Account >> New and then follow the step by step instructions to easily configure the email account and resolve the error “We Couldn’t Create the Outlook Data File”.
Disable simplified account creation: If you add your account in Outlook 2016 using the Connect outlook to Office 365 wizard, then also you might see this error. You can disable this feature and then try to configure email account in Outlook. For disabling this feature follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Window + R, then type regedit and pressing enter. This will open the register editor.
- Now navigate to this path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Setup.
- Now right click on the right side pane and then New >> DWORD (32-bit) Value >> Enter name as DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreation and set the value as 1.
- This will disable this feature of outlook.
Here in this article we have mentioned the possible causes of the error We Couldn’t Create the Outlook Data File”. Along with the possible causes we have also mentioned the solutions of resolving this issue. Please share in comments if you were able to fix the issue by using the methods given above.