Are you facing the error “Outlook Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable”? If yes then you are at the right place. Here in this article we will learn the root causes and possible fixes for this problem. This error makes the Outlook data inaccessible. The error occurs when we have updated the Operating System or some important files has been moved to some other location improperly. This error does not cause or corrupt your Outlook data profiles (OST and PST). So no need to worry much. Just follow the steps mentioned in this article to resolve your issue.
Methods to Fix Outlook Could Not Create the Work File
Method 1: Editing the Registry Value
- Open the registry editor: Press Window Key + R to open Run >> Type Regedit in it >> Click OK. This will open the Registry Editor.
- From the Registry editor, Navigate to the location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
- Choose User Shall Folder from there. Now see the value Cache in the right side of the pane. Double click on it >> Enter the Path String “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files” into the Value if you are using Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista Operating System.
- If you are using Windows XP then enter “%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. Into the value field.
- Now click on OK button, close the registry editor and restart your computer.
The method explained above will resolve your Issue of “Outlook Could Not Create the Work File”. Also you should be careful while modifying the registry settings. Anything wrong can cause a lot of issues to you. You might need to install the whole Operating System again.
Method 2: Change Internet Options
- Open Internet Explorer >> Click on GEAR icon >> Select Settings
- Now From the GENERAL tab click on SETTINGS
- In the Next Window Click on Move Folder Button
- Now choose the correct temporary file path mentioned in the Method 1.
Once done, click on OK and now check the error “Outlook Could Not Create the Work File” should be resolved.
In this article we have explained two methods to resolve the error “Outlook Could Not Create the Work File. Check the temp environment variable”. Hope the above mentioned method was helpful to you. If you need any other help or information please comment below, we would be happy to help you.