Are you looking to backup Office 365 mailboxes to PST? If yes then just go through the steps mentioned in this article to easily export office 365 mailboxes to PST. We have already created a video tutorial on it, here is the Video Guide on How to Save Office 365 Mailboxes to PST format.
How to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST using eDiscovery
- Login to your Office 365 Admin portal
- Click on in-place eDiscovery & hold
- Now your Will need to Create a Search Query to Search and Export the content of Office 365 to PST
- Finally Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST.
Steps to Backup Office 365 Mailboxes to PST
Step 1: Login to your Office 365 Account.
Step 2: Now Open Office 365 Admin Center by clicking on the App Launcher icon and then selecting Admin from there.
Step 3: Now Expand Admin Center and then click on Security
Step 4: To backup Office 365 mails to PST using eDiscovery you will need to be the member of eDiscovery Manager Role Group. To do the same follow the steps mentioned below:
- From the Security and Compliance center click on Permissions>> Edit Discovery Manager role group
- Now add your email address to the eDiscovery Administrator list by clicking on the edit button and then assign roles to your account so that you can complete the export process. By Default the role group will have multiple roles assigned but sometimes Export role might be missing. So Cross check if Export Role has been assigned or not. If it is not assigned then you will need to Add it to your account by clicking on Edit Role Group button.
Step 5: Now expand Search >> Content Search (If this option is missing then it means the eDiscovery Permission that we have assigned in the previous step is not yet reflected in your account. You will need to wait for at least 24 hours to do this process).
Step 6: Now Click on New Search, in the search window you can specify which Office 365 Mailbox you want to backup to PST format. In the Location window If you choose All Location then the Search will be performed in all locations including SharePoint and hence will take a lot of time. To Limit your Search in Office 365 Choose Specific Locations and then click on Modify.
Now select Exchange email, you can also backup a particular mailbox by clicking on Choose Users, group.
Step 7: In the search query you can use several filter option based on:
- From / CC / BCC / TO
- Time Range
- Message Type
- There are several other option available, we can check those by clicking on the Add Conditions button.
Step 8: If you want to backup all Office 365 Mailboxes then don’t add any filter >> You can directly click on Save & Run >> Enter the Search Name and Description
Step 9: Now click on save button to Search for the data in Office 365. Now go back to the content search window >> Refresh the window >> Select your Search >> Here you can check if your Search has been completed on not.
Note: Enable ClickOne app before proceeding to the next step: Open Microsoft Edge Browser >> enter edge://flags/ in URL >> now search ClickOne Support >> Enable It
Step 10: If completed, you can click on Export Results >> Now you can choose if you want to include encrypted files in your backup. Now choose the option One PST file for each Mailbox (You can choose any of the option as per your convenience) >> Once done click on Export button >> Now click on Download Results >> Save Export Key to Clipboard.
Step 11: Now in the ClickOne application also called as eDiscovery PST Export Tool enter the Export key that we have copied in the previous step >> Click on Start button and it will begin the backup process.
In this article we have explained easy method to backup Office 365 mailboxes to PST format. Hope the information provided above is helpful to you. If you have any doubt or if you need any other information. Kindly comment below, we would be happy to help you.
2 thoughts on “How to Backup Office 365 Mailbox to PST using eDiscovery”
Good to know that it worked for you 🙂